One of the most common questions a hair stylist gets is whether cutting your hair with scissors is good. Some people prefer scissors because they give a more natural look, while others only trust the expertise of clippers and other hair-cutting tools. The truth is, each has its pros and cons.
This blog aims to present the advantages and disadvantages of cutting your hair with scissors. We will also address some misconceptions about it. By the end of this post, you will be able to decide whether cutting your hair with scissors is a good option for you or not.
One of the main advantages of cutting your hair with scissors is that it gives a more natural finish. Scissors can work with your hair cuticles, giving a softer and more organic look. This is why people with curly or wavy hair often prefer cutting their hair with scissors.
Scissors are versatile in terms of style. You can create different styles with scissors, such as layering and texturing. You can also work on specific areas without leaving a blunt or noticeable line on your hair.
Scissors offer a higher level of precision compared to clippers. It allows you to make small adjustments to your hair without trimming too much. This is useful for people who want to maintain the length of their hair or those who are growing out their hair.
Cutting hair with scissors takes experience and skill. It is not easy to get a precise result if you are not familiar with the process. This is why hair cutting shears are not recommended for those who are not professionals or have no experience with it.
Cutting hair with scissors takes more time compared to using clippers. Scissors require more precision and patience, making the process take up more time. This can be inconvenient for people who are always on the go or have a busy schedule.
Risk of injury
Unlike using clippers, cutting with scissors can pose a risk of injury if not handled properly. This is why we recommend that only those who have received training and certification in hair cutting shears.
Tips and tricks for avoiding common mistakes
Here are some tips for avoiding common mistakes when cutting your hair with scissors:
- Invest in good quality shears. Quality scissors will give you better results and help reduce the risk of injury.
- Make sure to sharpen your shears regularly. Dull blades can be more dangerous, as they can cause snags or tug on the hair.
By following the tips mentioned above, you will be able to get the desired result without any mishaps. So, consider all the pros and cons before deciding whether hair cutting shears are right for you.
How to style short hair after a DIY haircut
- Invest in quality styling products such as waxes, mousses, and gels. These can help you create different looks depending on your preference.
- Use a blow-dryer to add texture and volume to your hair. Blow-drying your hair can make it look fuller and help define the shape of your desired style.
- Use a styling product that is suited for short hair, such as pomades or clay. These products can help you create more defined looks like spikes or slick backs.
- Experiment with different hairstyles. Short hair allows you to try out different looks without much effort.
- Have fun and play around with different styles until you find one that suits you best.
Exploring different ways to cut your hair at home
DIY haircuts are becoming increasingly popular as people look for ways to save money and time. Here are some of the most common methods and tips on how to cut your hair at home:
- Clippers are great for cutting short and even styles, such as buzz cuts or fades.
- Make sure to practice first on a mannequin head to get used to the technique before attempting it on yourself.
- Scissors are great for layering or texturing, as they offer more precision.
- Before attempting a cut with scissors make sure to sharpen the blades for a cleaner and smoother finish.
- Trimmers are useful for defining lines or creating shapes on your hair, such as around the ears or neck.
- Make sure to use light strokes and work in small sections when using trimmers.
In conclusion, cutting your hair with scissors has its pros and cons. It all depends on your personal preference and situation. If you are looking for a natural-looking haircut, prefer a versatile style, and value precision, consider cutting your hair with scissors. However, if you do not have experience with it, are always on the go, or do not have time to spare, other hair cutting shears may be more suitable for you. Regardless of the tool, always prioritize your safety and comfort when cutting your hair. We encourage you to seek help from professional hair stylists who can give you the best possible result.